Workshops and Training
Find out what's going on and how to get involved
We have arranged Safeguarding, Safe Recruitment and Discrimination Law training.
Please be aware that even if you only deal with ADULTS AT RISK or CHILDREN AT RISK, it is often the case that your staff/volunteers will encounter the other AT RISK group through their work, so it could be that individual training in both areas is appropriate.
Safeguarding is everyone’s business and we can only play our part in safeguarding others if we have the right knowledge and skills. Although the membership of the Association of Jersey Charities is very varied, we all have one thing in common … we see people in our daily lives and people sometimes need our help. No matter if people are younger or older, no matter what brings you together, there may be a time when things aren’t right, when someone else needs you to safeguard them. Our community needs as many people to undertake the Foundation
Safeguarding Training so that we all know what to do if something isn’t right. This is so important for us as charities, as we can often be working incredibly closely with the community at times of great need.
If you have not completed this training then please book on to one of the appropriate sessions, remembering that both, Adult and Children, may be appropriate. If you have 15+ staff/volunteers to train then I can arrange in-house training. If you have a lot of staff/volunteers generally then it is worth considering Train the Trainer training, which the Safeguarding Board can arrange – please contact them directly: https://safeguarding.je/
This training has been arranged to ensure that those people who work during the day have an option to complete this training.
Mary will also be running one Safe Recruitment session. Safe Recruitment Training will be a real asset to you, to make sure you take all the right steps to know about the person that you are considering taking on - equally important for taking on staff or volunteers, including committee members. As charities, we all have a responsibility to have confidence that we have done the right checks, so far as is possible, to know that we are introducing suitable people into our organisations. Don't just depend on DBS checks, checking CVs, taking references, and meeting the person face to face are all equally important. You will learn many techniques and things to think about that you may not have considered.
This training is equally important and complementary to the safeguarding training. Please book at least one member of your committee or staff on this training.
And finally we have arranged two sessions on the new Discrimination Law and this will cover:
- The main provisions of the Discrimination (Jersey) Law 2013 including Discrimination (Sex and related characteristics) (Jersey) Regulations 2015 and Discrimination (Disability) (Jersey) Regulations 2018
- The grounds for discrimination and who can claim
- What practices might lead to direct and indirect discrimination
- The role of individuals in minimising the risks to the organisation
- Harassment and individual responsibilities
- What organisations have to consider to comply with the law
If you have 15+ staff/volunteers to train then I can arrange in-house training, please contact me.
- Safeguarding Adults – Wednesday 1st August, 5pm to 8pm, Jersey Employment Trust training room, Kensington Place, St Helier. Please book here:
- Safeguarding Adults – Tuesday 7th August, 9.30am to 12.30pm, Jersey Employment Trust, Oakfield Building, Highlands College Campus. Please book here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/safeguarding-adults-tickets-48122442521
- Safeguarding Children – Wednesday 8th August, 9.30am to 12.30pm, St Paul's Centre, St Helier. Please book here:
- Safeguarding Children – Monday 13th August, 5pm to 8pm, Jersey Employment Trust, Kensington Place, St Helier. Please book here:
- Safe Recruitment – Monday 6th August, 2pm to 5pm, Jersey Employment Trust training room, Kensington Place, St Helier. Please book here:
- Discrimination Law – Thursday 2nd August, 1.30pm to 3.30pm, Jersey Employment Trust, Oakfield Building, Highlands College Campus. Please book here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/discrimination-law-tickets-48122258972
- Discrimination Law - Monday 20th August, 9.30 to 11.30, Jersey Employment Trust, Kensington Place, St Helier. Please book here: