Becoming a Member of the Association of Jersey Charities is a fairly simple process.
There is an annual subscription of £15 (first payable on joining and annually on 1st April thereafter) which will allow you access to the services of the AJC read here. Prospective Members are requested to view our Constitution before applying. The following will guide you through the necessary stages:
- You must already be established as a charity in Jersey to apply for Membership - if not click here
- The first stage is to complete an application form which you can do here
- Once you have submitted your application form, following the instructions online, you must also print, sign and forward it to the Administrator with the following documents:
- A copy of Tax Exemption confirmation from the Comptroller of Income Tax
- A copy of NPO (Jersey) Law 2008 confirmation letter
- A copy of your constitution/trust deed (governing document) of your organisation
- A copy of your latest set of accounts (if appropriate)
- A list of current members - minimum of 10 (if appropriate)
Please note that for the sake of good governance the AJC requires that it should be an express term of any trust deed creating a charitable Trust that there should be a minimum of 3 trustees notwithstanding that the Trust Law permits only one trustee. Furthermore, Charities choosing to use a trust structure should bear in mind the responsibilities of trustees, potentially extending to personal liability for the individuals concerned.
In the interest of our members being able to demonstrate good governance the Association restricts membership to trusts having a minimum of three trustees and ideally all trustees should be resident in Jersey (failing this the majority of trustees must be resident in Jersey).
Unless the trust deed specifically states that the business of the trustees can be dealt with by majority, all trustees will need to participate in decisions and this can cause problems, as can having trustees resident outside Jersey, where those trustees may cause the charity to be subject to regulations of other jurisdictions. For the avoidance of doubt, the officers and members of an association structure must likewise be resident in Jersey (failing this the majority must be resident).
- Your submitted application form (not the supporting documents) will then be uploaded to the "Private Member's Area" for existing Members only to view and comment on prior to the next Committee meeting (click here for meeting dates)
- After the next meeting of the committee at which your application is considered, you will be contacted by letter confirming the outcome, and if successful you will be required to pay a joining subscription of £15 and you will receive a welcome pack and your AJC number. If unsuccessful, full reasons will be given.
If you have any problems with this process please contact the Administrator