YouMatter (Love Matters Trust)
Membership Number: AJC407 / Registered Charity Number: 240
YouMatter works with young people to build their self-esteem and help them to develop an understanding of their true value and worth. We run workshops with thousands of young people in Jersey every year to inspire them to make healthy and positive choices about their lives and relationships.
During these times of school closure and lockdown, we are adapting the way we do things! We have been in touch with all secondary schools and the 9 primary schools we have worked with so far to find out how we can best support their PSHE programmes. The YouMatter team is keen to be flexible and ready to adapt further as the situation changes. We are passionate about continuing to meet the needs of children, young people and parents as best we can during these challenging times, albeit in different ways.
Usually, we provide high-quality, interactive and engaging workshops for young people in schools, youth clubs and other community settings. We also provide sessions for parents and training for professionals.
Currently, we are producing video lessons to share with schools, focusing on our key areas of work. We are also producing videos and lots of useful content to share on our social media platforms for parents, children and young people.
We have 9 key areas of work:
- Self-Esteem and Confidence
- Positive Relationships
- Decision-making Around Sex
- Sexually Transmitted Infections, including HIV and AIDS
- Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) Prevention
- Sexting and Staying Safe Online
- The Impact and Effects of Pornography
- Alcohol, Drugs Misuse and Staying Safe
- Supporting Positive Parenting
We also offer one-to-one and small-group work for young people identified as needing some additional support with any of the issues covered by our key areas of work. This area of our work is currently suspended but we hope to reopen our books in September 2020.
Fundraising is hugely important for us as a charity during this time.
We rely entirely on donations and other charitable giving to fund our work. We are a small and busy team and our time is fully dedicated to delivering our services; this leaves us very little time to fundraise for our work.
We would greatly value support with fundraising to help us continue to deliver our much-valued services.
One really simple way you can support us is through EasyFundraising. We are all staying at home and shopping online more than usual and this allows you to raise funds for YouMatter, at no extra cost to you, as you shop. Simply visit this link https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/search/cause/?q=YouMatter&cat=cause
Fundraising during lockdown requires extra creativity and we would be absolutely delighted if you chose to support us in this way! There are lots of fantastic virtual fundraising ideas already out there. You might:
- Choose to donate whatever you’re not spending money on at the moment – travel, parking, coffees, lunch, haircuts, beauty treatments, payday drinks…
- Donate your birthday! As we can’t go out to celebrate at the moment – you could ask friends and family to make a donation to us instead!
- Sponsor your children and young people to do challenges! Keep them busy and raise money at the same time
- Host a virtual quiz or scavenger hunt (zoom works well!)
- Coin Hunt! Challenge your household to find all those coins down the back of the sofa cushions and wherever else they may be hiding! Round the total up to the nearest pound and donate the amount via our website.
Do let us know that you are fundraising for us. We would love to support your efforts and may be able to help publicise your virtual event on our social media platforms and website.
We are always hugely grateful to those who choose to make a donation online. You can do this by visiting the ‘Support’ page of our website at www.youmatter.je
Make a Donation
If you would like to donate money to YouMatter (Love Matters Trust) please select an amount below.
If you are a Jersey tax payer, and your donation is for £50 or more, you can claim an extra 25% for your chosen charity. Click here for instructions on how to do this.
All donations are anonymous and securely handled for The Association of Jersey Charities by Paypal. Please contact the administrator if you would like to inform the charity of your identity or if you have any additional questions.