Jersey Charities

L'Associâtion des Charités d' Jèrri


Data Protection

Know your responsibilities under Data Protection

Guidance on data protection is available on the commission website here:

Contact the JOIC here


Safeguarding and Safe Recruitment.

Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility, in our every day life, and especially for those who work with groups 'at risk'.

Safeguarding Training

The safeguarding board has information on their site here:

Training is offered by the board -, and by the AJC, see here for courses coming up

Training is offered to individuals and groups on the 'foundation' course and is essential training for all staff, volunteers and board (committee) members working in a charity.

The board also offer 'train the trainer' training, for larger organisations with a large workforce. This way there is an 'in-house' trainer available to train all new recruits of staff or volunteers and to 'refresh' existing staff or volunteers.

Safe Recruitment Training

Safe recruitment applies to volunteers, and board (committee) members as much as staff. To have robust policies in place to employ staff or volunteers is essential for charities as the majority work with groups 'at risk' - elderly, children, people with learning difficulties.

Safe recruitment training is available through the AJC, see here for courses coming up


It is essential that all people working with 'at risk' groups are appropriately checked.

All staff and volunteers, including board (committee) members should hold a current DBS certificate before commencing work with a charity, and it is the charity's responsibility to make sure this is the case, and that the certificates are kept up to date.

It is not normal for a charity to expect a staff member or volunteer to pay for this service, although it may be acceptable for the staff member or volunteer to pay the small fee for annual updates. These updates will then carry with them to other organisations should they move on.

DBS checks are no longer provided on island so you will need to research the most cost effective provider.

In the meantime, information on 'personal criminal records checks' is available here:

Insurance & risk management

General guidance on insurance and risk management.

Risk Management

The Governing Committee should consider the risks of any activity in which the charity engages and should ensure that the individuals organising and involved in such activity have sufficient skills and are fit and proper persons, and that any risks, either physical or financial, are minimised and properly explained, if appropriate, to others involved.

Risk assessments for various activities follow this link


All charities need to assess their own insurance needs.

Public Liability Insurance
Public Liability Insurance (PLI) should be obtained to cover a charities events. Some venues have PLI and this should be checked to ensure it covers the needs of the charity's event. If not, all insurance companies and brokers will offer PLI and the needs of the charity should be discussed with provider.

Employer Liability Insurance
If a charity employs staff then Employee Liabilitiy Insurance (ELI) is needed. Some charities will take out ELI to cover their volunteers, depending on what is expected of them and the risks associated with those activities.

Officer Liability Insurance
Depending on the strucutre of the charity, it is advisable to consider Officer Liability Insurance for the board (committee) members. It is ultimately the board (committee) members (and members if appropriate) who are responsible for the activities of the charity, and likewise if anything goes wrong.  The needs should be discussed with an insurance company or broker.

Buildings & Contents Insurance
This will only apply to those who own or rent premises and the needs should be discussed with an insurance company or broker.