Membership Number: AJC55 / Registered Charity Number: 152
Brightly (formerly known as Brig-y-Don Children’s Charity) is a small, independent Jersey charity. incorporated by Acte of the States of Jersey, that provides support to children and young people living in care, leaving care, or who are experiencing adversity.
All money raised by Brightly either stays in Jersey for the benefit of Island residents or can be applied in cases where local children and young people have to be cared for off-island.
Brightly awards grants to children and young people from birth to 25 years who are being looked after in States care or are leaving care, as well as others who are suffering adversity and are in need. Our support is intended to create positive experiences and opportunities for children and young people with the aim of helping individuals move towards independence.
Our vision is for all care experienced children and young people living in Jersey to realise their full potential regardless of ability or background.
The support we offer
Brightly offers wide-ranging support from birth to age 25, including:
- Financial or material help for care leavers with:
- Independence e.g. driving lessons, household items
- Wellbeing e.g. doctor, dentist, optician appointments and gym membership
- Education / Further Education or employment e.g. educational courses, work clothing, laptop/computer and educational items such as a camera for a photography course
- Graduation grants
- Independent moving on grants (for care leavers up to the age of 25)
- Support for children of care leavers
- Residential welcome pack consisting of bed linen, towels, rug, pictures etc
- Memberships for leisure activities, e.g. aMaizin Adventure Park, Merton Aquadome
- 21st birthday gifts for care leavers
- Items or goods not provided by the States of Jersey as the Corporate Parent to children and young people in residential care (including those placed off-island)
- Christmas gifts or vouchers for young people in residential care and care leavers. We also organise a Christmas gift collection
We consider all requests on a case-by-case basis.
The charity does not support applications for goods or services that are included in grants or benefits from the States of Jersey.
Our support makes a real difference to the life experiences of children and young people who are in need. There are also less obvious but equally important benefits that result from our work, such as greater social inclusion, financial independence, personal growth and development and less reliance on benefit systems.
Make a Donation
If you would like to donate money to Brightly please select an amount below.
If you are a Jersey tax payer, and your donation is for £50 or more, you can claim an extra 25% for your chosen charity. Click here for instructions on how to do this.
All donations are anonymous and securely handled for The Association of Jersey Charities by Paypal. Please contact the administrator if you would like to inform the charity of your identity or if you have any additional questions.