Jersey Charity Awards
The Jersey Charity Awards 2019 were held on Sunday 22 September in the grounds of Govenment House.
Following the success of the first event in 2011 it was decided that the Jersey Charity Awards would be held every other year.
The awards are open to any island charity, whether they operate within Jersey or overseas.
Applicants don’t have to be a member of the Association of Jersey Charities but they must be registered with Jersey Charity Commission, or have their application pending.
To apply, charities needed to complete an application form detailing an initiative or project they’ve undertaken within the last twelve months of which they feel particularly proud, and the application form will be available on this site once the awards have been launched, 6 May 2019. The applications must be submitted in paper form by 5pm the 8th of July 2019. This year we are also asking for a jpeg of your logo or a photograph that sums up your organisation, which should be sent under separate cover to the Association of Jersey Chaities, Judging Committee.
Some examples of achievements could be:
- Innovative web site development, or a rebrand that has significantly improved your marketing reach and uptake of services.
- Undertaking a change management process, or a restructuring of services that has allowed you to further develop and expand.
- Development of your volunteering infrastructure programme.
- Implementation of a budgeting system or process, devising an annual operational budget or cost savings through the use of volunteers or ‘gifts in kind’.
- Outstanding leadership demonstrated by a volunteer, or staff member, possibly even during a period of adversity.
- Development of your social media that has allowed you to reach a new target audience, increase donations and/or a different audience.
- Production of your first or most outstanding annual report.
Application form available here (not available until the launch of the next awards)
Download the form as a pdf, complete it, save it, check it, print it, send it in!
There are three categories of entry - Outstanding Achievement Small Charity, Outstanding Achievement Medium Charity and Outstanding Achievement Large Charity, and to allow all entrants a fair chance, they will be categorised into 'Small', 'Medium' or 'Large' according to their relative size, taking account of total income, the number of employees and volunteers, and total hours worked.
£5,000 was awarded to the winner of each category, £1,000 to the runner up of each category, and £500 to the charity in third place for each category as listed below:
The awards were judged by an independent panel of judges comprising Ex-Senator Paul Routier MBE; local businessman Kevin Keen; Arclight Solutions Ltd Senior Consultant Jane Galloway and Chairman of the Association of Jersey Charities, Liz Le Poidevin.
The judges looked for examples of excellence, together with ideas and leadership to inspire and from which others can learn.
The 2017 Jersey Charity Awards ceremony took place at 2.00pm on Sunday 17 September 2017 at Government House. All entrants were invited, free of charge and approximately 180 people attended. Afternoon tea was served and music was provided by Jersey Sings, and Hot Bananas.
The winners of the 2017 Awards were:
- MPS (Jersey) Uganda - Small Charity of the Year
- Freedom for Life Ministries - Medium Charity of the Year
- Jersey Employment Trust - Large Charity of the Year
Full details of the passed events are available on the right hand side of this page.
Grateful thanks go to all those people, suppliers and organisations that helped to make it happen:
Stage 2 Productions
Jersey Employment Trust
Beresford Street Kitchen
Ryan O’Shea Photography
Jersey Academy of Music
Our Sponsors of the event, Ana Leaf Foundation, and of course special thanks go to Sir Stephen and Lady Anne Dalton for allowing us to hold the event in such a wonderful setting - the gardens of Government House.